The Learning Tree Montessori Education Centre Ltd is registered in England and Wales, company number 13330714, (“The Learning Tree” or “we”) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data. We want to be open and transparent about how we collect, process and protect your data which is set out in this privacy notice, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Chief Privacy Officer
The Learning Tree has appointed a Chief Privacy Officer who is the responsible for the personal data that you submit to us.
The Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) for The Learning Tree is SARAH BAKER.
Data Protection Principles
Under the GDPR, the data protection principles set out the main responsibilities for The Learning Tree:
Personal data shall be:
a. Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
b. Collected for specified, legitimate and explicit purposes and not further processed in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
c. Relevant and limited to the purposes that we have told you about.
d. Accurate and kept up to date
e. Kept only for as long as is necessary for the purposes which the personal data are processed.
f. Kept securely.
The categories of children’s information that we collect, hold and share include:
• Personal information (such as name, address and contact details, carers details, emergency contact details)
• Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth, religion)
• Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons, behavioural information, details of any exclusion information)
• Observation, planning and assessment records
• Where children go after they leave us
• Any special educational needs or disabilities as well as relevant medical and dietary information.
• Accidents and pre-existing injuries
• Photographs of the child for general display purposes
• Child protection referral forms / child protection case details / reports.
The categories of parent/carer information that we collect, hold and share include (including those of more sensitive personal information):
• Personal information (such as name, address and contact details)
• Information about race or ethnicity, languages spoken and nationality
• Conversations with parents where we deem it relevant to the prevention of radicalisation or other aspects of the government’s Prevent strategy
• Conversations with children and parents in relation to all aspects of Safeguarding
How we use personal information
We collect and hold personal information relating to our children and parents from when the initial enquiry is made by the parents, through the enrolment process and until the children leave us. We may also receive information from previous schools, the local authority(s) and/or the Department for Education (DfE).
We will only use this personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly in the following circumstances:
• support the children’s learning
• support the children’s welfare
• monitor and report on their progress
• provide appropriate pastoral care
• assess the quality of our services
• process any complaints
• protecting vulnerable individuals
• the prevention and detection of crime
• check attendance patterns are recorded
• share with schools for progression into the next stage of their learning
• pass on information relating to the running of The Learning Tree.
Who we share data with
We may pass data to:
• the Local Authority– for monitoring reasons.
• on-going school that a child attends after leaving us
• the Department for Education (DfE)
• third-party organisations, as dictated to ensuring the smooth running of The Learning Tree
• agencies with whom we have a duty to co-operate
• regulatory bodies – for ensuring compliance and the safety and welfare of the children.
Personal data will not be retained by The Learning Tree for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected.
Disposal of IT assets holding data shall be in compliance with ICO guidance:
Data Access Requests (Subject Access Requests)
All individuals whose data is held by The Learning Tree, has a legal right to request access to such data or information about what is held. We shall respond to such requests within one month and they should be made in writing to The Learning Tree.
Images of children may be captured at appropriate times and as part of educational activities for use at The Learning Tree only.
Unless prior consent from parents/children/carers has been given via the Image Consent Form, The Learning Tree shall not utilise such images for publication or communication to external sources.
You have the right to:
- be informed of data processing (which is covered by this Privacy Notice)
- access information (also known as a Subject Access Request)
- have inaccuracies corrected
- have information erased (where there is no good reason for us to continue processing the data. Our Child Protection Policy will always take precedent over this right)
- restrict processing of your personal information (our Child Protection Policy will always take precedent over this right)
- data portability (this is unlikely to be relevant)
- intervention in respect of automated decision making (this is unlikely to be relevant)
- object to processing of your personal information (our Child Protection Policy will always take precedent over this right).
To exercise any of these rights please contact the CPO.
Right to Withdraw Consent
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal information for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact the CPO. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so by law.
Visitors to our website
When you visit our website, we use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet
log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out such things as the number of
visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way that does not directly
identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities
of those visiting our website.
We use a cookies tool on our website to gain consent for the optional cookies we use.
Cookies that are necessary for functionality, security and accessibility are set and are not deleted by the
The purpose for implementing the above is to maintain and monitor the performance of our website and to
constantly look to improve the site and the services it offers to our visitors.
Links to other Websites
Where we provide links to websites of other organisations, this privacy notice does not cover how that
organisation processes personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy notices on the other
websites you visit.
Embedded content from other websites
Content on this website may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
If you have any concerns or questions about this privacy notice, please contact Chief Privacy Officer, The Learning Tree Montessori Education Centre.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
Their address is: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Their Helpline number: 0303 123 1113, and website https://www.ico.org.uk
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to update the Privacy Notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.